WIIFM What’s In It For Me?
Clients buy the benefits of what you sell not what you think you sell. A classic example is someone buying a drill bit isn’t just buying a drill bit. They are buying a hole but there’s more to that still. Why do they wan’t the hole? What are they actually doing? If you can understand this and offer the best solution to meet their real need you can:
- Close more clients than your competition
- Boost your average transaction value
- Increase customer loyalty because you provided a solution to what they really wanted
Let’s elaborate slightly. We’ll pretend they want to drill some holes in a brick wall and attach a metal bar they can use to do chin ups on. No in order to do that right they need a few things other than just a drill bit. Here’s a few I can think of you may think of others.
- They need the right drill bit to drill into brick.
- They need to have a drill suitable for that purpose.
- They need a suitable metal bar that is weatherproof and strong enough for the job. Also it should be comfortable on their hands.
- They need the right fittings to securely ans safely attach the bar to the wall.
If you went through the project with them and made sure they had everything they need to get it done right the first time they would leave happier and they would also likely have purchased way more. Now we have the supplied the things they need but their real need is still hidden in why they want to exercise in the first place. If you can get to understand their motivation for exercise you can develop the client relationship in a way that goes beyond the initial sale. Let’s say their doctor told them their cholesterol was too high and they needed to lost a few kilos fast to help get it down. You could make a note on your customer database (you have one don’t you) and give them a follow-up call in a few weeks and ask how the chin up bar is going for them. If you did that you’d probably blow their mind because how often does anyone follow-up after purchase? Especially with such clear memory of why they really bought from you. Their loyalty to your business would go through the roof and they may become an advocate for your business.
Need help really getting to the core of why your customers buy? Then contact us to chat about putting this powerful marketing approach to work in your business right away.